The Dorothea und Günter Seliger Foundation was established by Dr. Günter Seliger and his wife Dr. Dorothea Hilgenberg-Seliger in 2009. Its objectives are to encourage and support research, education and culture.
The founders have provided for a permanent place in the Youth Research competition at the Technical University of Berlin, and for the provision of musical instruments for members of the Big Band of the Berlin- Neuköllner Albert-Schweitzer-Gymnasium, a school where nearly all the pupils are immigrant children. Many of the band members have encountered music for the first time and experienced the use of an instrument and their combination in an ensemble.
The founders are particularly committed to integration through education from an early age. A further project involves a kindergarten in the socially deprived Berlin district of Neukölln, where the foundation has provided for a library and a room for discussions with parents.
The foundation supports contacts between young people from different backgrounds with a project at the Neuköllner Herman-Nohl School, in which children conceive and take part in performances of the Mondeo Circus and present these to the public.
The Seliger Foundation promotes culture in public life in Berlin with its co-financing of the restored Ziethenplatz and regular contributions to the restoration of the Berlin Stadtschloss which was demolished in 1950.